Two side limits

: 131.151 Calculus 1 for Engineers: Two side limits
   By Ariel Brawerman on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

I have a question about todays lecture. we aw that there are a left and a right side limit for
|x|
----
x

my question is: is there any patter between this equation and other 2 sided limits, that would make it easier to figure out if its 1 or 2 side limit without doing lots of calculations or even graphing the equation?

thanks for your time.

Ariel Brawerman

PS: great lecture about limits, the explanation was really good and it was really easy to follow up and understand the topic, THANKS!!!

By Sasho on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:38 pm: Edit Post

The left and right side limits can be applied to any function (there are left and right limits for f(x) = x+2, say, for x -> any number). The main reason they are convenient to use in case of the limit of the above function when x approaches 0 is because the absolute value is defined by means of different expression to the right and to the left of 0. So, consider using one-sided limits in such cases - in cases when the function is defined by different expression to the left and right of the limit point (the point x approaches).

Hope this helps (I am not sure I understood your question).
(Thanks.)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.