Letter grade and percentage ranges

: Math in Art: Letter grade and percentage ranges
   By Melissa Charriere on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

Hello Professor,

We were never provided with the letter grade percentage ranges that are applicable for this course.

Please advise what percentage ranges are applicable to the various letter grades. Also, please advise if the ranges are firm or if they can shift to accomodate a curved marking scheme.

Thanks,
Melissa

By Sasho on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:45 pm: Edit Post

This has been asked (and answered) elsewhere in this discussion board. According to the Faculty of Science internal rules, the grading scheme is not for public release.

By Melissa Charriere on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:06 pm: Edit Post

Hello,

I have now located and read the previous post, but I'm a little confused.

I have taken many other Faculty of Science courses and have never run into a situation where this information was not available. This is why I am so confused about this.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like it's not just a matter of not being able to post the percentage ranges online, but that the students in the course cannot have access to this information at all? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Melissa

By Karen Perron on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:22 am: Edit Post

I don't understand why we can't know because in every other class its just in the syllabus...

By Sasho on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:56 am: Edit Post

From the Stuff Handbook, (department of math) page 8: "Never reveal your formula for converting marks to letter grades."

There were good reasons why this was introduced (for the math courses at least) some 10 years ago.

Now: I put up this discussion forum to help you, primarily with math questions. Please use it as intended. It is not a part of my duties to have the forum, or, for that matter, to maintain any course related web pages.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.