Problems section 22

: 136.330 Intro to Algebra: Problems section 22
   By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit Post

22.7. If m and n are positive integers and m|n,then is a normal subgroup of (inZ). What is |/|? Justify your answer.

22.9 Assume N Explain the difference between the quotient group (Z12 * Z4)/*

By Sasho on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:27 pm: Edit Post

Please write the statements of the questions more carefully (use words where you do not have or know formatting). In the first qestion something is missing after "then", then inZ is unclear and so is |/|. In the second question it seems a part is cut off ( what is "assume N"?), and the last part is unclear.

By Sasho on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:10 am: Edit Post

I noticed that a part of the problem was that this application does not accept "less than" and "larger than" signs we use to denote subgroups through generators. The preview will tell you if some symbol does not go through - in that case please use words.

By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit Post

Is there any old exams that are available to us?

By Sasho on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit Post

I'll try to find some tomorrow and post it (or them) on the web page. (I do not know if the math department has old exams in their files.)

By Anonymous on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:20 pm: Edit Post

did you have any luck with the old exams?

By Sasho on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit Post

The math department has only one old 136.330 exam in the archives, and that particular exam is not suitable (most of the questions are "state the definition/theorem" - not the type of questions you will see in your exam). If you randomly choose 9 questions, one from chapter 1 and 2 from each of the chapters 2,3 and 4 and 5, you would get a much better approximation of your exam.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.